The lone member of class P-16A, No. 5299 (formerly Chicago & Alton No. 658), poses for photographer Walter A. Peters at an unknown location, probably in or near Springfield. This photo, from the Gary Thompson collection, was taken in the mid-1940s after modernization of the P-16s but probably before the GM&O takeover of the Alton Route. Note the unusual shape of the sand dome, a feature also found on some members of the P-16B class. The air pump shield on the pilot likewise contributes to the modernized appearance. If only all spoked drivers had been replaced with disc drivers, and the riveted trailing truck had been changed to the one-piece Delta type! No. 5299 was the first of the P-16s to be scrapped, meeting its demise in October 1947.