Class H-5p 2-8-2 No. 1351, shown here at East Alton, Illinois in April 1949, began life as class G-5q Consolidation No. 2864, erected in 1907 by American Locomotive Company's Brooks works at Dunkirk, New York. She was part of a massive 1912-1917 rebuild of G-5 2-8-0s into H-5 2-8-2s to cope with heavier freight traffic developing in the early twentieth century. Shortly after her emergence from the shop as a Mikado in 1915 she received the number 3904, which she retained until the NYC's system renumbering of 1936. Locomotives of class H-5p had 63-inch drivers, 25x32-inch cylinders, and 180 pounds per square inch of boiler pressure. They produced 48,570 pounds of tractive effort, but their engine weight varied (median weight about 285,000 pounds). These rebuilt Mikados had a grate area of 57 square feet, but their heating surface varied; evaporative heating surface ranged from 3957 to 4095 square feet, while superheating surface ranged from 870 to 920 square feet. No. 1351 was stricken from the NYC roster and sent to the scrapper's torch in 1950. This image came to our NYC Collection from John Sita.