In 1940 the New York Central System had nearly 750 eight-wheeled switchers. 0-8-0 No. 7226, formerly No. 7476 of the CCC&StL, poses somewhere in a yard on the "Big Four" sometime shortly before that year. She belonged to class U61, erected by the Beech Grove Shops from 1919 through 1922. These switchers had a locomotive weight of 220,000 pounds, and with their low 58-inch drivers they exerted 46,520 pounds of tractive effort. Their 23x30-inch cylinders were supplied by a boiler sustaining 200 pounds per square inch of steam pressure. This member of the subclass was built in 1920 and scrapped early in 1953.