The New York Central dieselized its eastern region first, and dieselization had progressed considerably before General Motors' Electro-Motive Division had introduced its GP-7 1500-horsepower road switcher. As a result, the NYC's eastern lines operated large numbers of road switchers produced by the American Locomotive Company in Schenectady, New York, long favored as a steam locomotive builder by the Central. Here, Alco RS-1 No. 8107 brings a short cut of cars through the depot at Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in August 1955.