Built by Rogers Locomotive Company of Patterson, New Jersey, in 1883, ex-Canadian Pacific 4-4-0 No. 136 remains in operating condition at the South Simcoe Railway in Tottenham, Ontario. In this view captured by A. B. Crompton on October 12, 1974, she leads ex-CPR Ten-Wheeler No. 1057 on a Credit Valley Railway excursion at Cataract, Ontario. Mr. Crompton also captured the locomotives as they were about to depart West Toronto. According to Ray Verdone's CPR Steam Locomotives Database, this engine was originally No. 140. In 1907 she was renumbered to 196 and classified as A5h. In 1912 she was renumbered to 115, and the following year she was given her final number and reclassified to A2m.
For the dimensions of the A2 class, see the commentary on No. 144 following. No. 136 was retired from the Canadian Pacific roster in 1960. Her final assignment for the CPR, together with No. 144, was a branch-line run in New Brunswick that required these small engines because a bridge weight restriction prevented the use of newer, heavier power. No. 136 can be viewed in that operation in the Sunday River Productions video New England Main Lines. This was doubtless the last revenue-service run of a 4-4-0 in North America. Tac Foley supplied this photo for our collection.