Grand Trunk Western switcher 78 was built by Electro-Motive in 1938 as No. 7800 in class Q-4-a, and was the railroad's first diesel switcher (not counting No. 7730, the 1929 Brill boxcab unit that switched the ferry dock in Milwaukee). In 1950 it was renumbered 78 in class GS-6-a. Here the unit poses at the terminal in Battle Creek, Michigan, with 0-8-0 8318 in the summer of 1953. No. 78, an EMD model SC, was scrapped in 1962.